Why we love open source
Open source guarantees security
Open source guarantees that no one can hide an encryption backdoor in the code. That’s why we have published the entire client code –
web client, Android & iOS apps, desktop clients – under GPLv3 on GitHub.
Only with open source, tech-savvy people can audit the code and verify that Tutanota is doing what we promise:
Protecting your private data to the maximum.
Plus, open source enables other projects like F-Droid and Linux distributions to build the Tutanota app themselves
making the need to trust us redundant.
Tutanota for free
Are you working on an open source project and looking for a secure mailbox for your team? Then apply
for Tutanota Premium for free!
Please send us an email with the following information from your official GitHub email address or
from your (custom domain) email address that is linked to your project’s website:
- Project name
- A short description of your project
- A link to your project’s website
To apply, you need to be a project lead or a core contributor for an active open source project that is at
least 30 days old.
Open source projects need to use a standard open source license and must be non-commercial. Your project should
not have paid support or pay contributors. If you or your company work on commercial projects, the
business version of Tutanota will suit you perfectly.
What you’ll get
- You’ll receive one renewable year of Tutanota Premium for as many users as you need.
- You can manage all of your teams’ mailboxes and calendars encrypted in Tutanota.
- You can use the Tutanota apps on all devices — Mac, Windows, Linux, iOS, Android, and web.
- Your free subscription can be renewed every year if your project still meets the requirements with a quick email.
- The Tutanota package consists of the following features:
- 1 GB storage
- Multiple custom domains
- Unlimited search
- Multiple calendars
- 5 aliases
- Inbox rules
- Support via email
- Event invites
- Share calendars (Sharing feature can be added)
We’ll review all requests and accept them at our discretion.
Check here how we have succeeded to build open source email apps that work completely
without any Google dependencies.
Open source projects
We are proud to support the following open source teams with the Tutanota software donation: