UNC recently announced its latest class of students inducted into the academic honor society Phi Beta Kappa, which included 13 students from Orange County.
The university held a virtual ceremony on Friday to officially welcome the 194 UNC students into the nation’s oldest college honorary society. 129 of the new members are from North Carolina and each student had to meet challenging credit hour and grade-point average benchmarks to be considered for the society. The Chapel Hill chapter of Phi Beta Kappa accepts students who have either completed 75 hours of coursework on the liberal arts and sciences with at least a 3.85 GPA or 105 credit hours with at least a 3.75 GPA.
UNC’s chapter, the oldest in North Carolina, is one of 290 chapters nationwide. The society in its entirety raises and distributes more than $1 million annually in scholarships and awards and has produced in the past 17 United States presidents, 41 United States Supreme Court Justices and more than 140 Nobel Laureates.
According to the university, the UNC students from Orange County who were inducted into 2020 class of Phi Beta Kappa are:
- Collins Knight Alexander, a senior with peace, war and defense and global studies majors and a history minor, of Chapel Hill.
- Taylor Cox, a senior with Arab cultures and peace, war and defense majors and a Middle Eastern languages minor, of Chapel Hill.
- Daniel Fan, a senior with a business administration major and a Spanish for the professions minor, of Chapel Hill.
- Katherine Sijing Fesperman, a senior with psychology and sociology majors and a neuroscience minor, of Chapel Hill.
- Callum James Funk, a junior with a biomedical and health sciences engineering major, of Chapel Hill.
- Angela Wei Guo, a senior with economics and public policy majors and a statistics and analytics minor, of Chapel Hill.
- Marichi Gupta, a senior with mathematics and computer science majors and a music minor, of Chapel Hill.
- Brett Michael Harris, a junior with English and comparative literature and contemporary European studies majors and an urban studies and planning minor, of Chapel Hill.
- Heidi Nicole Kreis, a senior with psychology and exercise and sport science majors and a neuroscience minor, of Chapel Hill.
- Brenna Everly Kuder, a senior with environmental studies and global studies majors and a Hispanic studies minor, of Chapel Hill.
- Joseph Vincent Osti III, a senior with a biology major, of Carrboro.
- Samuel Benjamin Pritchard, a senior with political science and peace, war and defense majors and a philosophy, politics and economics minor, of Chapel Hill.
- Robert Allen Winslow, a senior with a computer science major and a business administration minor, of Chapel Hill.
A full list of the entire 2020 class of the UNC chapter of Phi Beta Kappa can be found on the university’s website.
Photo via UNC.
Chapelboro.com does not charge subscription fees. You can support local journalism and our mission to serve the community. Contribute today – every single dollar matters.