Hispanic Business TVHispanic Business TV
  • Featured
  • Popular Cities
    • Atlanta
    • Boston
    • Chicago
    • Dallas
    • Denver
    • Houston
    • Las Vegas
    • Los Angeles
    • Miami
    • New York
    • Phoenix
    • Salt Lake City
    • San Antonio
  • Business
    • HBTV Toolbox
      • Social Media Management
  • Politics
  • HBTV Sports
    • MLB
    • MMA
    • NCAAF
    • NBA
    • NCAAM
    • NFL
    • NHL
  • Entertainment
  • Living
    • Culture
    • Latino Lifestyle
    • Education
    • Cannabis
Reading: fake windows and stairs to nowhere
Share
Sign In
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
Font ResizerAa
Hispanic Business TVHispanic Business TV
Search
  • Featured
  • Popular Cities
    • Atlanta
    • Boston
    • Chicago
    • Dallas
    • Denver
    • Houston
    • Las Vegas
    • Los Angeles
    • Miami
    • New York
    • Phoenix
    • Salt Lake City
    • San Antonio
  • Business
    • HBTV Toolbox
  • Politics
  • HBTV Sports
    • MLB
    • MMA
    • NCAAF
    • NBA
    • NCAAM
    • NFL
    • NHL
  • Entertainment
  • Living
    • Culture
    • Latino Lifestyle
    • Education
    • Cannabis
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
© 2024 hispanicbusinesstv All Rights Reserved.
Hispanic Business TV > Politics > fake windows and stairs to nowhere
Politics

fake windows and stairs to nowhere

HBTV
Last updated: March 31, 2026 4:53 am
HBTV
Share
5 Min Read
SHARE


Ascend the stairs of President Trump’s future White House ballroom and guests might encounter just one small problem: they lead to nowhere.

The grand, if purely decorative, staircase is just one of a number of design quirks in Donald Trump’s plans for his $400 million East Wing expansion, which critics say are being sped through without proper consideration or oversight.

The National Capital Planning Commission, which reportedly never had a say on the concept design, is set to vote on Thursday whether to approve its final review. It is thought to be a formality with Trump allies populating the panel.

Architects and presidential historians warn it has many issues, including faux windows on the north-facing wall — the side most visible to tourists — to conceal a row of bathroom stalls and an oversized portico and columns that will block views from inside the ballroom.

The proposed East Wing is about 60 per cent larger than the White House
Kevin Lamarque/Reuters

Viewed from the south, the 90,000 sq ft ballroom’s size will make it the dominant building of the White House complex, with a portico bigger than that of the residence and a lopsided appearance disrupting any symmetry with the West Wing, according to an analysis by The New York Times.

Trump described the new marble staircase, which does not lead to the ballroom, as “fire stairs” without elaborating.

The president argued that the White House needed a ballroom because the East Wing previously only hosted 125 people for formal dinners. Larger events were held in tents on the south lawn, where he said soggy ground often left foreign leaders with wet feet.

US newsletter

A balanced, fair and fact-checked take on global news and culture for our US readers.

It is being funded privately by donations from companies including Apple, Google and Amazon.

The proposed East Wing is also about 60 per cent larger than the White House residence by floor area, but by cubic volume it is more than three times as large because of the ballroom’s ceiling height.

Each structure in the capital city has been planned around civic symbols and sightlines since the 1790s. They have strict rules and regulations around building heights, square footage and appearance.

Fifty-eight per cent of Americans said they opposed the Trump administration’s decision to tear down the wing, according to an Economist/YouGov poll conducted last month, while 25 per cent said they supported it.

“This is the People’s House, this is not Donald Trump’s, or Joe Biden’s or the next president’s,” Phil Mendelson, who sits on the planning commission and is the sole dissenter, told The New York Times. “I still don’t understand why the ceiling height has to be 40 feet.”

Trump has already bulldozed the East Wing, which had been built in 1902 during President Theodore Roosevelt’s administration and expanded in 1942 during Franklin Roosevelt’s administration.

The National Trust for Historic Preservation is fighting the ballroom in federal court. Should the judge rule against Trump, work may be paused until an appeal can be heard.

The White House defended the plan, pointing out that Trump had made his money during his decades in real estate.

“President Trump is the best builder and developer in the entire world, and the American people can rest well knowing that this project is in his hands,” Davis Ingle, a White House spokesman, said in a statement.

U.S. President Donald Trump talking to media while holding up renderings of the planned White House ballroom on Air Force One.
President Trump aboard Air Force One
Elizabeth Frantz/Reuters

Meanwhile, the president touted the new design over the weekend, holding up a rendering of the plans for the new East Room aboard Air Force One.

He said the military was planning a nuclear bunker that will feature “bulletproof glass and drone-proof roofs”.

Trump said there was a national security component in the construction of the ballroom that was “supposed to be secret.”

“Now it’s no secret, the military wanted it more than anybody,” Trump said last Thursday in a cabinet meeting, discussing the ballroom’s construction. “It was supposed to be secret, but it became un-secret because of people that are really unpatriotic saying things.”



Source link

Sign Up For Daily Newsletter

Be keep up! Get the latest breaking news delivered straight to your inbox.

By signing up, you agree to our Terms of Use and acknowledge the data practices in our Privacy Policy. You may unsubscribe at any time.
Share This Article
Facebook Copy Link Print
Share
Previous Article New Edition, Boyz II Men and Toni Braxton, bring hits to Atlanta show
Next Article Softball Takes Two From John Jay
Leave a Comment Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Stay Connected

FacebookLike
XFollow
InstagramFollow
- Advertisement -
Ad imageAd image

Latest News

Fox political pressure campaign on NFL ‘a little bit odd’ given commitment to broadcast TV, league says
NFL
May 18, 2026
10 Player the Atlanta Hawks Could Target With Their $11 Million Trade Exception
Atlanta
May 18, 2026
Denver Closes Season Second at Golfweek NGI
Denver
May 18, 2026
Toronto Tempo vs Los Angeles Sparks May 17, 2026 Game Summary
Los Angeles
May 18, 2026

Advertise

  • Advertise With Us
  • Terms and Conditions
  • Privacy Policy
  • About Us
  • Contact

HispanicBusinessTV is your go-to source for the latest in Latino lifestyle, culture, and business news. Stay informed and inspired with our comprehensive coverage and in-depth stories.

Quick links

  • Advertise With Us
  • Terms and Conditions
  • Privacy Policy
  • About Us
  • Contact

Top Categories

  • Business
  • HBTV Sports
  • Entertainment
  • Culture

Sign Up for Our Newsletter

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!

© 2025 HispanicBusinessTV.com All Rights Reserved. A WooWho Network Digital Property.
Join Us!
Subscribe to our newsletter and never miss our latest news, podcasts etc..

Zero spam, Unsubscribe at any time.
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?