Hispanic Business TVHispanic Business TV
  • Featured
  • Popular Cities
    • Atlanta
    • Boston
    • Chicago
    • Dallas
    • Denver
    • Houston
    • Las Vegas
    • Los Angeles
    • Miami
    • New York
    • Phoenix
    • Salt Lake City
    • San Antonio
  • Business
    • HBTV Toolbox
      • Social Media Management
  • Politics
  • HBTV Sports
    • MLB
    • MMA
    • NCAAF
    • NBA
    • NCAAM
    • NFL
    • NHL
  • Entertainment
  • Living
    • Culture
    • Latino Lifestyle
    • Education
    • Cannabis
Reading: U.S. to reduce requirements for colleges due to FAFSA delays
Share
Sign In
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
Font ResizerAa
Hispanic Business TVHispanic Business TV
Search
  • Featured
  • Popular Cities
    • Atlanta
    • Boston
    • Chicago
    • Dallas
    • Denver
    • Houston
    • Las Vegas
    • Los Angeles
    • Miami
    • New York
    • Phoenix
    • Salt Lake City
    • San Antonio
  • Business
    • HBTV Toolbox
  • Politics
  • HBTV Sports
    • MLB
    • MMA
    • NCAAF
    • NBA
    • NCAAM
    • NFL
    • NHL
  • Entertainment
  • Living
    • Culture
    • Latino Lifestyle
    • Education
    • Cannabis
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
© 2024 hispanicbusinesstv All Rights Reserved.
Hispanic Business TV > LIVING > Education > U.S. to reduce requirements for colleges due to FAFSA delays
Education

U.S. to reduce requirements for colleges due to FAFSA delays

HBTV
Last updated: May 23, 2024 3:31 am
HBTV
Share
7 Min Read
SHARE

Education Secretary Miguel Cardona said the department is determined “to drive a constant drumbeat of action to fulfill the transformational potential” of the new federal financial aid application, which launched at the end of 2023.

The U.S. Education Department is relaxing a number of requirements so that colleges and universities dealing with delayed student financial aid information can better focus on processing aid applications and delivering aid packages to students.

The department announced today that it will reduce the proportion of financial aid forms it reviews for potential inaccuracy, suspend all new reviews of colleges’ compliance with financial aid rules and offer institutions flexibility in their applications to renew their eligibility to access federal financial aid programs.

Those changes build on the department’s strategy, announced last week, to support colleges with the update to the Free Application for Federal Student Aid, which has been plagued by delays and technical glitches.

Most Popular

“Here’s the bottom line: fewer requirements for colleges and universities this spring means more time and resources freed up to deliver financial aid for students to make the most of the better FAFSA,” Education Secretary Miguel Cardona said Monday evening on a call with reporters.

Institutions have less time than usual this spring to package aid offers after the department delayed the launch of its new FAFSA by three months and is holding off on sending students’ application information to colleges until March. The delays have forced many colleges to adjust the deadlines by which students need to commit.

In a letter to the Education Department Monday, more than 100 lawmakers said they were disappointed in the delays and concerned about how the issues with the federal aid form will affect students. They welcomed the department’s latest efforts to support institutions but sought more clarity about the agency’s plans moving forward.

“It is imperative that we all work together to ensure no student falls through the cracks or faces unnecessary challenges in accessing the aid they are due,” they wrote.

Cardona said the latest steps were in response to input from financial aid administrators and college leaders about the challenges they are facing with the new form, which also includes a new methodology for determining students’ aid eligibility. College officials were underwhelmed by the department’s initial support plan, which includes deploying teams of federal experts to underresourced institutions. The department will select institutions, starting this week, for the additional help, using a number of criteria such as the percentage of students eligible for Pell Grants.

The National Association of Student Financial Aid Administrators called on the department in a December letter to reduce the percentage of applications selected for verification—a process that’s “tedious and burdensome for students and financial aid administrators alike, even in the best of times,” the organization wrote.

The department selected about 18 percent of applications in the 2021–22 academic year for the audit, though that figure dropped during the pandemic. Only those applicants who are eligible for Pell Grants can be selected for income verification, which requires applicants to submit tax returns to verify their income. Department officials didn’t say how much they planned to reduce verification rates by, though they plan to focus on identity fraud.

“We’re going to bring verification rates to their lowest ever,” a senior department official said on the Monday call with reporters.

The department also will suspend all new routine program reviews through 2024, except for those related to serious wrongdoing such as suspected fraud, which was another one of NASFAA’s requests. The reviews are an oversight tool that the agency uses to ensure institutions are meeting their requirements to remain eligible for federal financial aid.

This change could offer relief to several dozen institutions, a senior department official said, adding that “we know it’s a lot of work for them once they do get selected for this process.”

To help institutions prepare for the processed applications, the department is planning to release test versions of the student information records by Friday. Cardona urged every college to start testing as soon as those records become available.

“We are determined to drive a constant drumbeat of action to fulfill the transformational potential of the better FAFSA,” Cardona said. “The steps we’re announcing today build on the Better FAFSA College Support Strategy by making it easier for colleges and universities to get financial aid packages to students and families as quickly as possible. We will strive to leave no stone unturned to make this FAFSA process easier and simpler for colleges, universities and students.”

Higher education leaders praised the department’s latest moves.

“We applaud these initial measures from the department to significantly lower student verification requirements and temporarily pause program reviews, which are critical first steps in ensuring financial aid offices—already stretched perilously thin—will have the bandwidth necessary to focus on students,” said Justin Draeger, president and CEO of NASFAA. “To make this work, higher education stakeholders require a sustained effort, which includes additional administrative relief and the department meeting its FAFSA processing timelines going forward. Schools have been told to expect test records by the end of this week, and processed FAFSA information in the first half of March, which will be vital to provide students and families with need-based financial aid information this spring. Students and families cannot afford any additional delays.”

Sign Up For Daily Newsletter

Be keep up! Get the latest breaking news delivered straight to your inbox.

By signing up, you agree to our Terms of Use and acknowledge the data practices in our Privacy Policy. You may unsubscribe at any time.
Share This Article
Facebook Copy Link Print
Share
Previous Article Tampa Bay area seeing more Latino owned businesses
Next Article Cannabis poisonings among older adults have tripled, study finds
Leave a Comment Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Stay Connected

FacebookLike
XFollow
InstagramFollow
- Advertisement -
Ad imageAd image

Latest News

NHRA Route 66 Nationals Results | National News
Latino Lifestyle
May 18, 2026
College Station to be home to Yemeni-style coffee house chain
Houston
May 18, 2026
Desperate plea from Primm family as gambling resorts on California-Nevada scheduled to close
Las Vegas
May 18, 2026
La CASA opens its doors with a weekend of bomba, salsa, and art
Business
May 18, 2026

Advertise

  • Advertise With Us
  • Terms and Conditions
  • Privacy Policy
  • About Us
  • Contact

HispanicBusinessTV is your go-to source for the latest in Latino lifestyle, culture, and business news. Stay informed and inspired with our comprehensive coverage and in-depth stories.

Quick links

  • Advertise With Us
  • Terms and Conditions
  • Privacy Policy
  • About Us
  • Contact

Top Categories

  • Business
  • HBTV Sports
  • Entertainment
  • Culture

Sign Up for Our Newsletter

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!

© 2025 HispanicBusinessTV.com All Rights Reserved. A WooWho Network Digital Property.
Join Us!
Subscribe to our newsletter and never miss our latest news, podcasts etc..

Zero spam, Unsubscribe at any time.
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?