Hispanic Business TVHispanic Business TV
  • Featured
  • Popular Cities
    • Atlanta
    • Boston
    • Chicago
    • Dallas
    • Denver
    • Houston
    • Las Vegas
    • Los Angeles
    • Miami
    • New York
    • Phoenix
    • Salt Lake City
    • San Antonio
  • Business
    • HBTV Toolbox
      • Social Media Management
  • Politics
  • HBTV Sports
    • MLB
    • MMA
    • NCAAF
    • NBA
    • NCAAM
    • NFL
    • NHL
  • Entertainment
  • Living
    • Culture
    • Latino Lifestyle
    • Education
    • Cannabis
Reading: Boston judge to block federal termination of humanitarian parole for Haitians, others
Share
Sign In
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
Font ResizerAa
Hispanic Business TVHispanic Business TV
Search
  • Featured
  • Popular Cities
    • Atlanta
    • Boston
    • Chicago
    • Dallas
    • Denver
    • Houston
    • Las Vegas
    • Los Angeles
    • Miami
    • New York
    • Phoenix
    • Salt Lake City
    • San Antonio
  • Business
    • HBTV Toolbox
  • Politics
  • HBTV Sports
    • MLB
    • MMA
    • NCAAF
    • NBA
    • NCAAM
    • NFL
    • NHL
  • Entertainment
  • Living
    • Culture
    • Latino Lifestyle
    • Education
    • Cannabis
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
© 2024 hispanicbusinesstv All Rights Reserved.
Hispanic Business TV > Boston > Boston judge to block federal termination of humanitarian parole for Haitians, others
Boston

Boston judge to block federal termination of humanitarian parole for Haitians, others

HBTV
Last updated: April 11, 2025 4:36 pm
HBTV
Share
5 Min Read
SHARE


A federal judge in Boston said she will issue an order staying the federal government’s decision to revoke legal immigration status from hundreds of thousands of Cubans, Haitians, Nicaraguans, and Venezuelans.

Lawyers for the immigrant groups asked Judge Indira Talwani to issue an order temporarily blocking the government from ending the humanitarian parole program, sometimes known as CHNV. Without it, more than half a million immigrants who lawfully entered the country could face deportation on April 24.

Boston City Council President Ruthzee Louijeune, a daughter of Haitian immigrants, attended the hearing. Speaking to reporters outside the courthouse, she slammed the Trump administration for going after “ people who have become part of our cities and part of our communities.”

“This is about making sure that people who came here legally, people who followed a process, are respected,” she said.

The Department of Homeland Security announced it would slash the humanitarian parole program for the four nationalities last month, following an executive order by President Trump instructing the agency to do so, among other immigration enforcement actions.

A group of American citizens, immigrants and a nonprofit later sued. They called the move to end the program unprecedented and unlawful, and likely to “cause imminent irreparable harm” to roughly 532,000 people who’ve been living and working in the U.S. under the program since 2022.

In response, attorneys for the federal government argued that such an order would be “intruding into the Executive’s exercise of discretionary immigration authority.”

They also said that, given the temporary nature of humanitarian parole, the harms against the immigrants “are outweighed by the harms to the public” and that the secretary of homeland security should be able to “discontinue a program she has determined does not serve the public interest.”

In court Thursday, the judge appeared to side with the plaintiffs, at times intensely questioning an attorney for the government. At one point, she asked whether they were looking to cancel the program because it was a Biden administration initiative.

Talwani said immigrants would face “essentially a hostage choice” on April 24 if she didn’t stay the administration’s order — having to either go back to the country they fled, or stay in the U.S. illegally.

The program was created in 2022 as a streamlined legal route for migrants fleeing economic and political instability, persecution and environmental disasters in their home countries. Its goal was to reduce the number of migrants coming through the southwest border, where officials said an “all-time high” number attempted to cross without authorization in 2022. Border crossings dropped sharply in 2024.

In announcing the program’s termination, DHS said it was both “inconsistent with the [Trump] Administration’s foreign policy goals” and unnecessary now that encounters at the border are considerably lower.

“Whatever the need for these programs may have been in late 2022, the situation at the southwest border now, and the set of tools implemented by DHS to deter illegal immigration, are quite different,” the agency said.

During his campaign, Trump promised to deport millions of people, and as president he has been narrowing legal pathways for immigrants to come and stay in the U.S.

Guerline Jozef, executive director of the nonprofit Haitian Bridge Alliance, one of the plaintiffs in the case, said the narrative that the Trump administration is clamping down only on criminals and people in the country illegally doesn’t hold up.

“Even those people who have legal status, who are here working, paying their taxes, are under attack,” she said.

This article was originally published on April 10, 2025.



Source link

Sign Up For Daily Newsletter

Be keep up! Get the latest breaking news delivered straight to your inbox.

By signing up, you agree to our Terms of Use and acknowledge the data practices in our Privacy Policy. You may unsubscribe at any time.
Share This Article
Facebook Copy Link Print
Share
Previous Article 2025 Frozen Four: Bracket, schedule, scores for the NCAA men’s hockey tournament
Next Article CO2 Monitoring positions for growth as cannabis regulation evolves | Carbon Dioxide
Leave a Comment Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Stay Connected

FacebookLike
XFollow
InstagramFollow
- Advertisement -
Ad imageAd image

Latest News

Latino and Latine Studies minor to drop language requirements for Fall 2026 – The Columbia Chronicle
Education
May 20, 2026
Latino Summit 2026 draws 600 in Wilmington | The Latest from WDEL News
Latino Lifestyle
May 20, 2026
GOP Runoff for Open Houston-Area Congressional Seat Heats Up Over Campaign Allegations | 2026
Houston
May 20, 2026
Shreveport, Bossier casinos are seeing a rough start to 2026 | Business
Las Vegas
May 20, 2026

Advertise

  • Advertise With Us
  • Terms and Conditions
  • Privacy Policy
  • About Us
  • Contact

HispanicBusinessTV is your go-to source for the latest in Latino lifestyle, culture, and business news. Stay informed and inspired with our comprehensive coverage and in-depth stories.

Quick links

  • Advertise With Us
  • Terms and Conditions
  • Privacy Policy
  • About Us
  • Contact

Top Categories

  • Business
  • HBTV Sports
  • Entertainment
  • Culture

Sign Up for Our Newsletter

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!

© 2025 HispanicBusinessTV.com All Rights Reserved. A WooWho Network Digital Property.
Join Us!
Subscribe to our newsletter and never miss our latest news, podcasts etc..

Zero spam, Unsubscribe at any time.
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?