Hispanic Business TVHispanic Business TV
  • Featured
  • Popular Cities
    • Atlanta
    • Boston
    • Chicago
    • Dallas
    • Denver
    • Houston
    • Las Vegas
    • Los Angeles
    • Miami
    • New York
    • Phoenix
    • Salt Lake City
    • San Antonio
  • Business
    • HBTV Toolbox
      • Social Media Management
  • Politics
  • HBTV Sports
    • MLB
    • MMA
    • NCAAF
    • NBA
    • NCAAM
    • NFL
    • NHL
  • Entertainment
  • Living
    • Culture
    • Latino Lifestyle
    • Education
    • Cannabis
Reading: Patrick Bertoletti of Chicago wins his first men’s title at annual Nathan’s hot dog eating contest.
Share
Sign In
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
Font ResizerAa
Hispanic Business TVHispanic Business TV
Search
  • Featured
  • Popular Cities
    • Atlanta
    • Boston
    • Chicago
    • Dallas
    • Denver
    • Houston
    • Las Vegas
    • Los Angeles
    • Miami
    • New York
    • Phoenix
    • Salt Lake City
    • San Antonio
  • Business
    • HBTV Toolbox
  • Politics
  • HBTV Sports
    • MLB
    • MMA
    • NCAAF
    • NBA
    • NCAAM
    • NFL
    • NHL
  • Entertainment
  • Living
    • Culture
    • Latino Lifestyle
    • Education
    • Cannabis
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
© 2024 hispanicbusinesstv All Rights Reserved.
Hispanic Business TV > New York > Patrick Bertoletti of Chicago wins his first men’s title at annual Nathan’s hot dog eating contest.
New York

Patrick Bertoletti of Chicago wins his first men’s title at annual Nathan’s hot dog eating contest.

HBTV
Last updated: July 4, 2024 8:21 pm
HBTV
Share
5 Min Read
Kujqd6vrevd2pnu3vzogorimbq.jpg
SHARE

NEW YORK – Patrick Bertoletti of Chicago gobbled down 58 hot dogs to win his first men’s title Thursday at the annual Nathan’s Famous Fourth of July hot dog eating contest, taking advantage of the absence of the event’s biggest star.

Bertoletti won in a tight, 10-minute race where the leader bounced back and forth. The 39-year-old Bertoletti defeated 13 competitors from around the world in a test to see who can wolf down the most hot dogs in 10 minutes.

“I wasn’t going to stop eating until the job was done,” Bertoletti said.

Bertoletti bested his prior record of 55 hot dogs at the event, held every Independence Day on New York’s Coney Island.

The reigning men’s champion, Joey “Jaws” Chestnut, didn’t attend the competition this year over a sponsorship tiff. Instead, Chestnut will compete against soldiers at a U.S. Army base in El Paso later in the day. Chestnut won 16 out of 17 previous competitions.

Bertoletti said he lost weight and practiced for three months with “an urgency” to prepare for Thursday’s event, thinking he had a good chance of winning.

“With Joey not here, I knew I had a shot,” he said. “I was able to unlock something that I don’t know where it came from. But I’m not complaining.”

Earlier Thursday, defending champion Miki Sudo of Florida won her 10th title in the women’s division.

Sudo consumed 51 hot dogs in 10 minutes — and set a new world record for women.

“I’m just happy to call this mine for another year,” Sudo said after winning her 10th pink belt.

The 38-year-old dental hygiene student won last year after forcing down 39 1/2 hot dogs.

Sudo defeated 13 competitors, including 28-year-old rival Mayoi Ebihara of Japan. Ebihara came in second after eating 37 hot dogs in 10 minutes. She was also the runner-up in 2023. Sudo also consumed more than her partner, former Florida bodybuilder Nicholas Wehry, who ate 46 hot dogs in the men’s competition.

Bertoletti’s victory marks the first time the famed mustard belt has gone to someone besides Chestnut since 2015.

Thousands of fans, some wearing foam hot dog hats, flock each year to the event held outside the original Nathan’s location in Brooklyn’s Coney Island, a beachfront destination with amusement parks and a carnivalesque summer culture. Rich Shea, CEO of Major League Eating, which organizes the event, noted how people still came out in droves even though Chestnut was not there.

“Just a great competitor, a great guy, a grown man, and a man who’s made a choice not to be here today,” he said of the popular eating champ on ESPN. “But fortunately for us, tens of thousands of people are crowding around Nathan’s Famous. It’s a pilgrimage every year. This is not a paid Hollywood crowd. This is excitement.”

Competitors came from over a dozen states and five continents, with prospects from Brazil, Japan, the United Kingdom, South Korea, Australia and the Czech Republic vying for the coveted title and $10,000 prize money.

Last year Chestnut, of Indiana, chewed his way to the title by downing 62 dogs and buns in 10 minutes. The record, which he set in 2021, is 76.

Chestnut was initially disinvited from the event over a sponsorship deal with Impossible Foods, a company that specializes in plant-based meat substitutes and which advertised on ESPN throughout the event on Thursday.

Major League Eating has since said it walked back the ban, but Chestnut decided to spend the holiday with the troops anyway.

Chestnut said he wouldn’t return to the Coney Island contest without an apology.

The event at the Fort Bliss army base in El Paso, scheduled to begin at 5 p.m. ET, will use traditional franks, with Chestnut attempting to out-eat four soldiers in five minutes.

Even though he won’t be eating their vegan products, Impossible Foods is promoting Chestnut’s YouTube livestream of the exhibition by flying airplanes with banners over Los Angeles and Miami. The company will also donate to an organization supporting military families based on the number of hot dogs eaten at the event, a spokesperson said.

___

Haigh reported from Norwich, Connecticut.

Copyright 2024 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without permission.

Sign Up For Daily Newsletter

Be keep up! Get the latest breaking news delivered straight to your inbox.

By signing up, you agree to our Terms of Use and acknowledge the data practices in our Privacy Policy. You may unsubscribe at any time.
Share This Article
Facebook Copy Link Print
Share
Previous Article T 333d8bbcc958445d9f4ecba85b3cf744 Name F13c8d0942ba1ea69293541b8fd406d9912ebb3c.jpg Good Morning San Antonio 6 a.m. : Jul 03, 2024
Next Article Urlhttp3a2f2fnpr Brightspot.s3.amazonaws.com2f1d2ffb2fdf894a0c4af19a74e8f4326a8a852fi Am Wellness.jpg I Am Wellness first holistic health studio for Latino community in Yuma
Leave a Comment Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Stay Connected

FacebookLike
XFollow
InstagramFollow
- Advertisement -
Ad imageAd image

Latest News

Montgomery College will remain a Hispanic-Serving Institution regardless of federal funding cuts
Education
May 22, 2026
ViaProMeds Launches Bilingual Telehealth Platform Built Specifically for Latino Patients in the United States
Latino Lifestyle
May 22, 2026
Montrose’s nearly $9 million sidewalk-improvement project to begin soon
Houston
May 22, 2026
Keller Williams Announces CEO Summit Speakers for Mega Camp 2026 – Las Vegas Sun News
Las Vegas
May 22, 2026

Advertise

  • Advertise With Us
  • Terms and Conditions
  • Privacy Policy
  • About Us
  • Contact

HispanicBusinessTV is your go-to source for the latest in Latino lifestyle, culture, and business news. Stay informed and inspired with our comprehensive coverage and in-depth stories.

Quick links

  • Advertise With Us
  • Terms and Conditions
  • Privacy Policy
  • About Us
  • Contact

Top Categories

  • Business
  • HBTV Sports
  • Entertainment
  • Culture

Sign Up for Our Newsletter

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!

© 2025 HispanicBusinessTV.com All Rights Reserved. A WooWho Network Digital Property.
Join Us!
Subscribe to our newsletter and never miss our latest news, podcasts etc..

Zero spam, Unsubscribe at any time.
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?