Hispanic Business TVHispanic Business TV
  • Featured
  • Popular Cities
    • Atlanta
    • Boston
    • Chicago
    • Dallas
    • Denver
    • Houston
    • Las Vegas
    • Los Angeles
    • Miami
    • New York
    • Phoenix
    • Salt Lake City
    • San Antonio
  • Business
    • HBTV Toolbox
      • Social Media Management
  • Politics
  • HBTV Sports
    • MLB
    • MMA
    • NCAAF
    • NBA
    • NCAAM
    • NFL
    • NHL
  • Entertainment
  • Living
    • Culture
    • Latino Lifestyle
    • Education
    • Cannabis
Reading: Pentagon says it has accepted Boeing jet from Qatar that will be used for Trump
Share
Sign In
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
Font ResizerAa
Hispanic Business TVHispanic Business TV
Search
  • Featured
  • Popular Cities
    • Atlanta
    • Boston
    • Chicago
    • Dallas
    • Denver
    • Houston
    • Las Vegas
    • Los Angeles
    • Miami
    • New York
    • Phoenix
    • Salt Lake City
    • San Antonio
  • Business
    • HBTV Toolbox
  • Politics
  • HBTV Sports
    • MLB
    • MMA
    • NCAAF
    • NBA
    • NCAAM
    • NFL
    • NHL
  • Entertainment
  • Living
    • Culture
    • Latino Lifestyle
    • Education
    • Cannabis
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
© 2024 hispanicbusinesstv All Rights Reserved.
Hispanic Business TV > Politics > Pentagon says it has accepted Boeing jet from Qatar that will be used for Trump
Politics

Pentagon says it has accepted Boeing jet from Qatar that will be used for Trump

HBTV
Last updated: May 21, 2025 11:21 pm
HBTV
Share
7 Min Read
SHARE


Washington — The Defense Department said Wednesday it has accepted a Boeing jet from Qatar that will be retrofitted and used to transport President Trump.

Pentagon spokesman Sean Parnell said in a statement that Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth accepted the Boeing 747 “in accordance with all federal rules and regulations.” 

“The Department of Defense will work to ensure proper security measures and functional-mission requirements are considered for an aircraft used to transport the President of the United States,” Parnell said.

The New York Times first reported that the Pentagon had accepted the jetliner from the government of Qatar.

“As directed by the Secretary of Defense, the Air Force is preparing to award a contract to modify a Boeing 747 aircraft for executive airlift. Details related to the contract are classified,” a spokesperson for the Air Force said in a statement.

Hegseth’s acceptance of the plane comes days after sources confirmed to CBS News that the Qatari royal family would be donating aircraft for Mr. Trump’s use. The gift was first reported by ABC News. Valued at $400 million, the jumbo jet will be donated to Mr. Trump’s future presidential library just before he leaves office.

Mr. Trump told reporters last week that the Qataris are “giving us a gift” and lamented that the current plane used for Air Force One is nearly four decades old. When the president is aboard either of the two Boeing aircrafts that are part of the presidential air transport fleet, its call sign is “Air Force One,” according to the Air Force.

“If we can get a 747 as a contribution to our Defense Department to use during a couple of years while they’re building the other ones, I think that was a very nice gesture,” Mr. Trump said. “Now I could be a stupid person and say, oh no, we don’t want a free plane.” 

The president has continued to defend the notion of receiving the plane from Qatar, writing on social media that the Boeing jet is being given to the Defense Department, and is a gift that will be used as a “temporary Air Force One” until new Boeing planes arrive.

“Why should our military, and therefore our taxpayers, be forced to pay hundreds of millions of Dollars when they can get it for FREE from a  country that wants to reward us for a job well done. This big savings will be spent, instead, to MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN! Only a FOOL would not accept this gift on behalf of our Country,” he wrote last week.

White House press secretary Karoline Leavitt also reiterated Monday that the plane is a donation to the nation and the Air Force.

“The government of Qatar, Qatari family, has offered to donate this plane to the United States Air Force, where that donation will be accepted according to all legal and ethical obligations,” she said. “It will be retrofitted to the highest of standards by the Department of Defense and the United States Air Force. This plane is not a personal donation or a gift to the president of the United States.”

Still, news of the gift raised concerns among members of Congress and questions of whether the transaction complied with federal ethics rules.

Democratic Rep. Ritchie Torres of New York sent a letter last week to three internal government watchdogs asking them to conduct an ethics review of the gift and issue an advisory opinion on whether it violates federal ethics regulations and the Constitution’s Emoluments Clause, which bars federal officials from accepting gifts from foreign nations.

“The American presidency is not a personal inheritance. It does not exist to enrich Donald Trump,” he wrote. “It belongs to ‘We the People.’ If we fail to draw the line here, there may soon be no line left to draw.”

Some Republicans, too, have expressed unease with the gift from the Qatari government. Senate Majority Leader John Thune said last week that there are “lots of issues associated with that offer,” which he said should be discussed further.

Sen. Josh Hawley of Missouri said that while he understands the need for a new Air Force One, “I’d love to have a big, beautiful jet that’s built in the United States of America.” Sen. Thom Tillis of North Carolina warned “everybody needs to know that Air Force One is not like every other Boeing.”

“It’s going to have to be put through a lot of paces and probably every square inch analyzed before I think the president should consider it as a primary means of transportation,” he said.

The secretary of the Air Force, Troy Meink, who was only confirmed last week, told Congress on Tuesday that the Air Force had already started looking into what modifications would be required to retrofit the jet. 

“The secretary of defense has directed the Air Force to basically start planning to modify the aircraft. We are postured to do that,” Meink told Democratic Sen. Tammy Duckworth of Illinois, who asked about the potential security concerns of such a transfer. 

Meink said turning any civilian aircraft to Air Force One standards “will take significant modifications.”

More from CBS News

Melissa Quinn

Melissa Quinn is a politics reporter for CBSNews.com. She has written for outlets including the Washington Examiner, Daily Signal and Alexandria Times. Melissa covers U.S. politics, with a focus on the Supreme Court and federal courts.

Kaia Hubbard,

Cristina Corujo and

Alan He

contributed to this report.



Source link

Sign Up For Daily Newsletter

Be keep up! Get the latest breaking news delivered straight to your inbox.

By signing up, you agree to our Terms of Use and acknowledge the data practices in our Privacy Policy. You may unsubscribe at any time.
Share This Article
Facebook Copy Link Print
Share
Previous Article Playing starters in the preseason? Would Raheem Morris consider it? 
Next Article Manatee County nonprofit promotes science and technology for all
Leave a Comment Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Stay Connected

FacebookLike
XFollow
InstagramFollow
- Advertisement -
Ad imageAd image

Latest News

Latino and Latine Studies minor to drop language requirements for Fall 2026 – The Columbia Chronicle
Education
May 20, 2026
Latino Summit 2026 draws 600 in Wilmington | The Latest from WDEL News
Latino Lifestyle
May 20, 2026
GOP Runoff for Open Houston-Area Congressional Seat Heats Up Over Campaign Allegations | 2026
Houston
May 20, 2026
Shreveport, Bossier casinos are seeing a rough start to 2026 | Business
Las Vegas
May 20, 2026

Advertise

  • Advertise With Us
  • Terms and Conditions
  • Privacy Policy
  • About Us
  • Contact

HispanicBusinessTV is your go-to source for the latest in Latino lifestyle, culture, and business news. Stay informed and inspired with our comprehensive coverage and in-depth stories.

Quick links

  • Advertise With Us
  • Terms and Conditions
  • Privacy Policy
  • About Us
  • Contact

Top Categories

  • Business
  • HBTV Sports
  • Entertainment
  • Culture

Sign Up for Our Newsletter

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!

© 2025 HispanicBusinessTV.com All Rights Reserved. A WooWho Network Digital Property.
Join Us!
Subscribe to our newsletter and never miss our latest news, podcasts etc..

Zero spam, Unsubscribe at any time.
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?