Hispanic Business TVHispanic Business TV
  • Featured
  • Popular Cities
    • Atlanta
    • Boston
    • Chicago
    • Dallas
    • Denver
    • Houston
    • Las Vegas
    • Los Angeles
    • Miami
    • New York
    • Phoenix
    • Salt Lake City
    • San Antonio
  • Business
    • HBTV Toolbox
      • Social Media Management
  • Politics
  • HBTV Sports
    • MLB
    • MMA
    • NCAAF
    • NBA
    • NCAAM
    • NFL
    • NHL
  • Entertainment
  • Living
    • Culture
    • Latino Lifestyle
    • Education
    • Cannabis
Reading: 2 men accused of strangling 12-year-old in Houston are charged with capital murder
Share
Sign In
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
Font ResizerAa
Hispanic Business TVHispanic Business TV
Search
  • Featured
  • Popular Cities
    • Atlanta
    • Boston
    • Chicago
    • Dallas
    • Denver
    • Houston
    • Las Vegas
    • Los Angeles
    • Miami
    • New York
    • Phoenix
    • Salt Lake City
    • San Antonio
  • Business
    • HBTV Toolbox
  • Politics
  • HBTV Sports
    • MLB
    • MMA
    • NCAAF
    • NBA
    • NCAAM
    • NFL
    • NHL
  • Entertainment
  • Living
    • Culture
    • Latino Lifestyle
    • Education
    • Cannabis
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
© 2024 hispanicbusinesstv All Rights Reserved.
Hispanic Business TV > Houston > 2 men accused of strangling 12-year-old in Houston are charged with capital murder
Houston

2 men accused of strangling 12-year-old in Houston are charged with capital murder

HBTV
Last updated: June 23, 2024 3:47 am
HBTV
Share
4 Min Read
SHARE

Two men have been charged with capital murder in the strangulation of a 12-year-old girl whose body was discovered in a shallow creek in north Houston.

Johan Jose Martinez-Rangel, 22, and Franklin Pena, 26, were charged Friday with capital murder of a child between 10 and 15 years old, according to authorities and court records.

Jocelyn Nungaray was found about 6:15 a.m. Monday, and the Harris County Institute of Forensic Sciences determined she died by strangulation, according to Houston police.

12-year-old Jocelyn Nungaray.Houston Police Department

Officials on Thursday said they had been working nonstop to take whoever was responsible for Jocelyn’s death off the streets. Surveillance video and witnesses led police to the arrests Thursday, officials said.

“The teams were out there, and they were scouring every potential video feed, and they were talking to everybody possible that might have seen something or heard something,” said Houston’s Acting Police Chief Larry Satterwhite. “Their hard work paid off because we were able to find video and … trace the movements of our suspects and … of Jocelyn … all the way to the point of where she was murdered and left in a bayou in the water.”

Tests would determine if the girl was sexually assaulted, Satterwhite said.

Houston Mayor John Whitmire said the case was horrifying.

“As the mayor, as a grandfather and a father — it doesn’t get any worse,” he said.

Houston police Lt. Stephen Hope said the suspects left a restaurant together Sunday night and were spotted on a surveillance camera. Officials said the men were later seen talking to Jocelyn, and the three walked together to a convenience store, where images were captured and later released to the public, police said.

The trio then walked to a bridge, where Jocelyn was killed, Hope said.

The suspects and Jocelyn spent a few hours together before she was killed, Hope said.

Martinez-Rangel and Pena were being held in the Harris County Jail Friday afternoon, according to John Donnelly, a spokesperson for the county’s district attorney’s office.

Martinez-Rangel and Pena were expected to make their first appearance in court Friday during a probable cause hearing before a magistrate in which prosecutors were going to request $1 million bond for each suspect, Donnelly said.

It was unclear late Friday if Martinez-Rangel and Pena had retained attorneys.

The suspects weren’t eligible for the death penalty as of Friday afternoon, but that might change as their cases progress through the courts, Donnelly said.

Both suspects had immigration violation holds from Immigration and Customs Enforcement on their court records.

At Thursday’s news conference, authorities said to contact Homeland Security Investigations regarding questions about the suspects’ immigration statuses. No one with the Department of Homeland Security, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services or ICE were reached Friday for comment.

NBC affiliate KPRC in Houston reported Jocelyn’s mother, Alexis Nungaray, said she had never seen the two men before. She didn’t know if her daughter knew them and told the news station that they did not live at the complex where she and Jocelyn lived.

Sign Up For Daily Newsletter

Be keep up! Get the latest breaking news delivered straight to your inbox.

By signing up, you agree to our Terms of Use and acknowledge the data practices in our Privacy Policy. You may unsubscribe at any time.
Share This Article
Facebook Copy Link Print
Share
Previous Article Shore News NetworkMan Pours Lighter Fluid on Woman and Threatens to Set Her on Fire in New York CityNEW YORK, NY—The New York City Police Department is requesting the public's assistance in identifying a person of interest related to an….8 hours ago
Next Article Denver PrideFest 2024 grand marshal applied for 1st parade permit in 1976
Leave a Comment Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Stay Connected

FacebookLike
XFollow
InstagramFollow
- Advertisement -
Ad imageAd image

Latest News

NY Jets really have one of the NFL’s GOATs in underrated area
NFL
May 22, 2026
MomoCon returns to Atlanta for 21st year of cosplay, gaming and community – WABE
Atlanta
May 22, 2026
Early Glimpse of Davis Webb’s Offensive Vision Emerging in Denver
Denver
May 22, 2026
Tank spews toxic chemicals in Garden Grove
Los Angeles
May 22, 2026

Advertise

  • Advertise With Us
  • Terms and Conditions
  • Privacy Policy
  • About Us
  • Contact

HispanicBusinessTV is your go-to source for the latest in Latino lifestyle, culture, and business news. Stay informed and inspired with our comprehensive coverage and in-depth stories.

Quick links

  • Advertise With Us
  • Terms and Conditions
  • Privacy Policy
  • About Us
  • Contact

Top Categories

  • Business
  • HBTV Sports
  • Entertainment
  • Culture

Sign Up for Our Newsletter

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!

© 2025 HispanicBusinessTV.com All Rights Reserved. A WooWho Network Digital Property.
Join Us!
Subscribe to our newsletter and never miss our latest news, podcasts etc..

Zero spam, Unsubscribe at any time.
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?