Hispanic Business TVHispanic Business TV
  • Featured
  • Popular Cities
    • Atlanta
    • Boston
    • Chicago
    • Dallas
    • Denver
    • Houston
    • Las Vegas
    • Los Angeles
    • Miami
    • New York
    • Phoenix
    • Salt Lake City
    • San Antonio
  • Business
    • HBTV Toolbox
      • Social Media Management
  • Politics
  • HBTV Sports
    • MLB
    • MMA
    • NCAAF
    • NBA
    • NCAAM
    • NFL
    • NHL
  • Entertainment
  • Living
    • Culture
    • Latino Lifestyle
    • Education
    • Cannabis
Reading: Boston-area cafe apologizes after refusing to serve, calling 911 on black journalist in ‘mistaken identity’ case
Share
Sign In
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
Font ResizerAa
Hispanic Business TVHispanic Business TV
Search
  • Featured
  • Popular Cities
    • Atlanta
    • Boston
    • Chicago
    • Dallas
    • Denver
    • Houston
    • Las Vegas
    • Los Angeles
    • Miami
    • New York
    • Phoenix
    • Salt Lake City
    • San Antonio
  • Business
    • HBTV Toolbox
  • Politics
  • HBTV Sports
    • MLB
    • MMA
    • NCAAF
    • NBA
    • NCAAM
    • NFL
    • NHL
  • Entertainment
  • Living
    • Culture
    • Latino Lifestyle
    • Education
    • Cannabis
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
© 2024 hispanicbusinesstv All Rights Reserved.
Hispanic Business TV > Boston > Boston-area cafe apologizes after refusing to serve, calling 911 on black journalist in ‘mistaken identity’ case
Boston

Boston-area cafe apologizes after refusing to serve, calling 911 on black journalist in ‘mistaken identity’ case

HBTV
Last updated: November 28, 2025 8:09 am
HBTV
Share
4 Min Read
SHARE


A Massachusetts cafe has apologized after refusing to serve and calling 911 on an award-winning black journalist in a case of “mistaken identity,” according to reports.

The bizarre incident unfolded after Philip Martin, a seasoned reporter for GBH who retired earlier this year, arrived at Caffè Nero in Cambridge before 5 p.m. on Thursday to meet a fellow journalist, Naomi Kooker, the Boston Globe first reported.

Philip Martin, a 71-year-old award-winning journalist, was denied service and had 911 called on him at a Cambridge cafe. Stories from the Stage / Youtube

Kooker arrived first, ordered a drink, and was seated at a table. But, when Martin, 71, tried to place his order, the worker behind the counter told him she’d been instructed not to serve him, he recalled.

“I was aghast,” he told Boston.com, “I said, ‘I’m completely confused. Are you mistaking me for someone else?’ And she said, ‘No, it’s you. We have you on videotape.’”

After a back-and-forth conversation, both Martin and the worker decided to call 911.

Cambridge police officers responded to the cafe and spoke separately with Martin and Caffè Nero staff, ultimately deciding the incident was a misunderstanding and allowing Martin to reenter the establishment for his scheduled meeting.

“I was intent on not being pushed out of the store based on someone’s faulty misidentification,” he told the outlet.

A Caffè Nero spokesperson said in an email to the Boston Globe that the hostile interaction was “a genuine case of mistaken identity due to the close similarity of height, build, and style of beard and glasses with a customer who had been responsible for significant anti-social behaviour previously.”

The week prior, a different customer was thrown out of the cafe for being “abusive to the staff” and had relieved himself inside, the spokesperson said.

“While it is not acceptable to confuse any customer with another, the prior incident was traumatic for the barista involved, and it triggered her response,” the spokesperson said, per the outlet.


A Caffe Nero coffee shop exterior with an "OPEN" flag in the window.
A Caffè Nero spokesperson said in an email to the Boston Globe that the hostile interaction was “a genuine case of mistaken identity.”

“Everyone at Caffè Nero is deeply sorry for the behaviour towards Mr. Martin, which should not have happened, even though it was a genuine error driven by a recent prior experience.”

Employees at the quaint cafe situated in Central Square have since undergone training to prevent similar incidents, the spokesperson added.

Martin eventually was shown a picture of the alleged barista tyrant he was misidentified as, and said he remains “befuddled” as to how he was mixed up with a much younger light-skinned black man with a scruffy beard.

“I looked at the photo, and I told them, ‘He looks nothing like me,’” Martin said.

Martin has since filed complaints against Caffè Nero with the Massachusetts Commission Against Discrimination and the Cambridge Human Rights Commission, detailing the humiliation he experienced, per the Boston Globe.

The retired reporter maintained that he does not want anyone to lose their jobs or boycott the cafe, and is simply asking for some accountability for the encounter.

“I told them I had no interest whatsoever in anyone being fired over this,” Martin told Boston.com.



Source link

Sign Up For Daily Newsletter

Be keep up! Get the latest breaking news delivered straight to your inbox.

By signing up, you agree to our Terms of Use and acknowledge the data practices in our Privacy Policy. You may unsubscribe at any time.
Share This Article
Facebook Copy Link Print
Share
Previous Article How the Dallas Cowboys cook up one of the NFL’s biggest Thanksgiving feasts
Next Article CSUF Earns Top Three Spot for Hispanic Student Bachelor’s Degrees – Content Media Solution
Leave a Comment Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Stay Connected

FacebookLike
XFollow
InstagramFollow
- Advertisement -
Ad imageAd image

Latest News

U.S. Postal Service could offer more government services, IG says
Politics
May 20, 2026
Polsinelli Will Move Phoenix Team To New Office Campus
Phoenix
May 20, 2026
Iowa football duo generates 2027 NFL mock draft first round buzz
NFL
May 20, 2026
Availability report and match preview: 5-Stripes aim for semifinal berth in Open Cup
Atlanta
May 20, 2026

Advertise

  • Advertise With Us
  • Terms and Conditions
  • Privacy Policy
  • About Us
  • Contact

HispanicBusinessTV is your go-to source for the latest in Latino lifestyle, culture, and business news. Stay informed and inspired with our comprehensive coverage and in-depth stories.

Quick links

  • Advertise With Us
  • Terms and Conditions
  • Privacy Policy
  • About Us
  • Contact

Top Categories

  • Business
  • HBTV Sports
  • Entertainment
  • Culture

Sign Up for Our Newsletter

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!

© 2025 HispanicBusinessTV.com All Rights Reserved. A WooWho Network Digital Property.
Join Us!
Subscribe to our newsletter and never miss our latest news, podcasts etc..

Zero spam, Unsubscribe at any time.
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?