Hispanic Business TVHispanic Business TV
  • Featured
  • Popular Cities
    • Atlanta
    • Boston
    • Chicago
    • Dallas
    • Denver
    • Houston
    • Las Vegas
    • Los Angeles
    • Miami
    • New York
    • Phoenix
    • Salt Lake City
    • San Antonio
  • Business
    • HBTV Toolbox
      • Social Media Management
  • Politics
  • HBTV Sports
    • MLB
    • MMA
    • NCAAF
    • NBA
    • NCAAM
    • NFL
    • NHL
  • Entertainment
  • Living
    • Culture
    • Latino Lifestyle
    • Education
    • Cannabis
Reading: Denver to spend $57 million per year on mayor’s homelessness initiative
Share
Sign In
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
Font ResizerAa
Hispanic Business TVHispanic Business TV
Search
  • Featured
  • Popular Cities
    • Atlanta
    • Boston
    • Chicago
    • Dallas
    • Denver
    • Houston
    • Las Vegas
    • Los Angeles
    • Miami
    • New York
    • Phoenix
    • Salt Lake City
    • San Antonio
  • Business
    • HBTV Toolbox
  • Politics
  • HBTV Sports
    • MLB
    • MMA
    • NCAAF
    • NBA
    • NCAAM
    • NFL
    • NHL
  • Entertainment
  • Living
    • Culture
    • Latino Lifestyle
    • Education
    • Cannabis
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
© 2024 hispanicbusinesstv All Rights Reserved.
Hispanic Business TV > Denver > Denver to spend $57 million per year on mayor’s homelessness initiative
Denver

Denver to spend $57 million per year on mayor’s homelessness initiative

HBTV
Last updated: June 19, 2024 5:00 am
HBTV
Share
6 Min Read
SHARE

DENVER — Ever since Mayor Mike Johnston announced his homelessness initiative, many have wondered how much the city would have to spend on it.

On Tuesday, city officials began providing some answers, but there’s still a lot of uncertainty about how the city will pay for the program in the future.

The mayor’s office shared Olivet’s comments in a press release on Monday.

But not everyone is singing the mayor’s praises.

“Our All In Mile High sites have a 73% failure rate for the people who are leaving the program and what I wish is that the mayor’s office had slowed down and done this right in the first place,” said Denver City Councilwoman Amanda Sawyer.

Sawyer’s comments came Monday night as the city council considered, and later approved, a $5 million contract for a pilot program that will bring 250 people off the streets and into leased housing.

City and County of Denver

Most of the funding for the mayor’s homelessness initiative have come from the federal government.

For months, Sawyer and her colleague, Denver City Councilmember Stacie Gilmore have accused the mayor’s office of keeping the council and the public in the dark about spending for the All In Mile High initiative.

“We haven’t been transparent to the public through presenting to them and our constituents what the All in Mile High budget is,” said Gilmore.

On Tuesday, the mayor’s team tried to put those concerns to rest.

They said the city spent $13.1 million last year, which was much lower than the $48 million they anticipated spending.

They said many of the expenses weren’t finalized until this year, including the purchase of the former Best Western Hotel and manufactured sleeping units for micro-communities.

“We anticipated they would hit in 2023, but they’re actually hitting in 2024, which is a large part of our budget in 2024,” said Dr. Jamie Rife, the executive director of the Denver Department of Housing Stability (HOST).

Some of the money the city spent are one-time costs, which pay for things like hotel acquisitions and micro-community site preparation. This money is largely from federal funding the city received.

Denver to spend $57 million per year on mayor’s homelessness initiative

Rife said any money not spent last year has been added to this year’s budget.

Moving forward, Rife said they project the city will need to spend $57.5 million a year to support 2,000 people, about $28,000 per person.

“And this includes services, the temporary housing, the wraparound support,” Rife said.

Yet they’re not sure where exactly all of this money will come from, with pandemic funding quickly drying up.

“We have to stop approving millions and millions and millions of dollars that are not sustainable,” Sawyer said before voting against the new pilot program Monday night. “There’s no sustainable funding source.”

aimh anticipated costs.jpg

City and County of Denver

The city anticipates the All In Mile High initiative will cost $57.5 million per year, starting in 2025.

When asked Tuesday by Denver City Councilman Paul Kashmann where funding for the $57.5 million projected annual costs would come from, Stephanie Karayannis Adams, Denver’s deputy chief financial officer, said they don’t know yet.

“This is probably not a very satisfactory answer to you, but that is something we will have to work through as part of the overall 2025 budget process,” said Adams.

Sawyer said while identifying funding sources is important to city officials and council members, most members of the public just want to know how their tax money is being spent.

“Our residents don’t care what the funding sources [are],” said Sawyer. “They know that we have two huge programs that we are spending hundreds of millions of dollars in 18 months, and they aren’t getting their street paved or they aren’t getting their trash service picked up on time or whatever else.”

 The city is also asking the council to provide an additional $17 million this year to pay for unexpected needs.

“These include some additional security needs, both operating support and video surveillance cameras, as well as some repairs and maintenance at the hotels that exceeded what we had initially anticipated when planning for 2024,” Rife said.

The city began upgrading security at hotel shelter sites following a deadly double shooting at one of the hotels in March.


D7 follow up bar 2460x400FINAL.png

The Follow Up

What do you want Denver7 to follow up on? Is there a story, topic or issue you want us to revisit? Let us know with the contact form below.

Sign Up For Daily Newsletter

Be keep up! Get the latest breaking news delivered straight to your inbox.

By signing up, you agree to our Terms of Use and acknowledge the data practices in our Privacy Policy. You may unsubscribe at any time.
Share This Article
Facebook Copy Link Print
Share
Previous Article New clues in the case of 12-year-old girl found dead in north Houston creek
Next Article Boston plans for a Celtics duck boat parade
Leave a Comment Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Stay Connected

FacebookLike
XFollow
InstagramFollow
- Advertisement -
Ad imageAd image

Latest News

Latino and Latine Studies minor to drop language requirements for Fall 2026 – The Columbia Chronicle
Education
May 20, 2026
Latino Summit 2026 draws 600 in Wilmington | The Latest from WDEL News
Latino Lifestyle
May 20, 2026
GOP Runoff for Open Houston-Area Congressional Seat Heats Up Over Campaign Allegations | 2026
Houston
May 20, 2026
Shreveport, Bossier casinos are seeing a rough start to 2026 | Business
Las Vegas
May 20, 2026

Advertise

  • Advertise With Us
  • Terms and Conditions
  • Privacy Policy
  • About Us
  • Contact

HispanicBusinessTV is your go-to source for the latest in Latino lifestyle, culture, and business news. Stay informed and inspired with our comprehensive coverage and in-depth stories.

Quick links

  • Advertise With Us
  • Terms and Conditions
  • Privacy Policy
  • About Us
  • Contact

Top Categories

  • Business
  • HBTV Sports
  • Entertainment
  • Culture

Sign Up for Our Newsletter

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!

© 2025 HispanicBusinessTV.com All Rights Reserved. A WooWho Network Digital Property.
Join Us!
Subscribe to our newsletter and never miss our latest news, podcasts etc..

Zero spam, Unsubscribe at any time.
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?