Hispanic Business TVHispanic Business TV
  • Featured
  • Popular Cities
    • Atlanta
    • Boston
    • Chicago
    • Dallas
    • Denver
    • Houston
    • Las Vegas
    • Los Angeles
    • Miami
    • New York
    • Phoenix
    • Salt Lake City
    • San Antonio
  • Business
    • HBTV Toolbox
      • Social Media Management
  • Politics
  • HBTV Sports
    • MLB
    • MMA
    • NCAAF
    • NBA
    • NCAAM
    • NFL
    • NHL
  • Entertainment
  • Living
    • Culture
    • Latino Lifestyle
    • Education
    • Cannabis
Reading: Editorial | Let New York prove whether congestion pricing is right or wrong
Share
Sign In
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
Font ResizerAa
Hispanic Business TVHispanic Business TV
Search
  • Featured
  • Popular Cities
    • Atlanta
    • Boston
    • Chicago
    • Dallas
    • Denver
    • Houston
    • Las Vegas
    • Los Angeles
    • Miami
    • New York
    • Phoenix
    • Salt Lake City
    • San Antonio
  • Business
    • HBTV Toolbox
  • Politics
  • HBTV Sports
    • MLB
    • MMA
    • NCAAF
    • NBA
    • NCAAM
    • NFL
    • NHL
  • Entertainment
  • Living
    • Culture
    • Latino Lifestyle
    • Education
    • Cannabis
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
© 2024 hispanicbusinesstv All Rights Reserved.
Hispanic Business TV > New York > Editorial | Let New York prove whether congestion pricing is right or wrong
New York

Editorial | Let New York prove whether congestion pricing is right or wrong

HBTV
Last updated: June 18, 2024 8:32 am
HBTV
Share
4 Min Read
SHARE

With congestion pricing on pause, the $500 million camera system could just become expensive decor.

Photo by Dean Moses

Sign up for our amNewYork email newsletter to get news, updates, and local insights delivered straight to your inbox!

Congestion pricing was due to be one of the greatest experiments in New York City’s history, but with Gov. Kathy Hochul sending it into limbo indefinitely, this experiment and its impacts are now the great unknown. 

The MTA planned to turn on the Manhattan tolling system on June 30 and reap an estimated billion dollars a year in new funding for improving public transit while also reducing traffic in Manhattan.

Then Hochul, after previously championing the pros of congestion pricing for years, made a sudden U-turn by putting the entire plan on ice because of its possible negative impacts — namely the concerns about economic hardships to New York drivers being forced to pay a new toll to commute into Manhattan.

And while New Yorkers continue to debate whether Hochul made the right call here, the MTA received on Friday good news from the federal government: Approval of the final congestion pricing plan. 

That may seem like a few grains of salt in the MTA’s wound of having lost congestion pricing (allegedly for now), but the Federal Highway Administration’s (FHWA) approval of congestion pricing seemed to dispel much of the main arguments critics made to deride the plan — which became much of Hochul’s basis for shelving the toll.

The FHWA says that congestion pricing would provide “travel-time savings and travel-time reliability improvements, as well as reduced vehicle operating costs.” They projected no major negative implications of congestion pricing on the city’s labor force, particularly among those in the taxi and for-hire vehicle industries. The impacts on the costs of goods, the agency found, would also be negligible. 

New York Gov. Kathy Hochul speaks on congestion pricing
Gov. Kathy Hochul reiterated on June 7 that she had to put congestion pricing on indefinite pause because many New Yorkers told her it was too much of an economic burden for them to bear.Darren McGee/ Office of Governor Kathy Hochul

Moreover, the FHWA projected a 17% decrease in traffic volume around Manhattan, including a 55% drop in truck traffic. And the agency also indicated the plan would lead to slight improvements in the region’s air quality.

Seemingly all of the boxes on the list of congestion pricing positives were checked off by the federal government — reduced traffic, cost savings to drivers, negligible cost impacts, cleaner air. Ironically, that approval isn’t worth much because Hochul refuses to sign off on it for the time being — though the administration says it is keeping “all options available as discussions continue regarding next steps.” 

But what, we ask, is left to discuss?

This plan is ready to go right now. Every day without an alternative plan costs the MTA more in deferred expenses, and moves the city’s public transit system one step closer to ruin. 

If congestion pricing is activated and fails to live up to its positive expectations, then it will be time to shut it down and start over. But we will never know whether it works if it is never activated.

All Governor Hochul needs to do is start congestion pricing up, and let New York prove it right or wrong.

Sign Up For Daily Newsletter

Be keep up! Get the latest breaking news delivered straight to your inbox.

By signing up, you agree to our Terms of Use and acknowledge the data practices in our Privacy Policy. You may unsubscribe at any time.
Share This Article
Facebook Copy Link Print
Share
Previous Article Residents and communities preparing for heat wave that will envelop Midwest and Northeast next week – Queen City News
Next Article ABC13 Houston employees recall the most memorable news stories from southeast Texas in 2023
Leave a Comment Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Stay Connected

FacebookLike
XFollow
InstagramFollow
- Advertisement -
Ad imageAd image

Latest News

U.S. Government Intends To Fund Quantum Computing
Politics
May 22, 2026
Asbestos fears spark urgent recall of over 120K squeeze toys sold at Walmart, Ollie’s
Phoenix
May 22, 2026
NY Jets really have one of the NFL’s GOATs in underrated area
NFL
May 22, 2026
MomoCon returns to Atlanta for 21st year of cosplay, gaming and community – WABE
Atlanta
May 22, 2026

Advertise

  • Advertise With Us
  • Terms and Conditions
  • Privacy Policy
  • About Us
  • Contact

HispanicBusinessTV is your go-to source for the latest in Latino lifestyle, culture, and business news. Stay informed and inspired with our comprehensive coverage and in-depth stories.

Quick links

  • Advertise With Us
  • Terms and Conditions
  • Privacy Policy
  • About Us
  • Contact

Top Categories

  • Business
  • HBTV Sports
  • Entertainment
  • Culture

Sign Up for Our Newsletter

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!

© 2025 HispanicBusinessTV.com All Rights Reserved. A WooWho Network Digital Property.
Join Us!
Subscribe to our newsletter and never miss our latest news, podcasts etc..

Zero spam, Unsubscribe at any time.
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?