Hispanic Business TVHispanic Business TV
  • Featured
  • Popular Cities
    • Atlanta
    • Boston
    • Chicago
    • Dallas
    • Denver
    • Houston
    • Las Vegas
    • Los Angeles
    • Miami
    • New York
    • Phoenix
    • Salt Lake City
    • San Antonio
  • Business
    • HBTV Toolbox
      • Social Media Management
  • Politics
  • HBTV Sports
    • MLB
    • MMA
    • NCAAF
    • NBA
    • NCAAM
    • NFL
    • NHL
  • Entertainment
  • Living
    • Culture
    • Latino Lifestyle
    • Education
    • Cannabis
Reading: MLB extends Wander Franco’s leave through July 14, source says
Share
Sign In
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
Font ResizerAa
Hispanic Business TVHispanic Business TV
Search
  • Featured
  • Popular Cities
    • Atlanta
    • Boston
    • Chicago
    • Dallas
    • Denver
    • Houston
    • Las Vegas
    • Los Angeles
    • Miami
    • New York
    • Phoenix
    • Salt Lake City
    • San Antonio
  • Business
    • HBTV Toolbox
  • Politics
  • HBTV Sports
    • MLB
    • MMA
    • NCAAF
    • NBA
    • NCAAM
    • NFL
    • NHL
  • Entertainment
  • Living
    • Culture
    • Latino Lifestyle
    • Education
    • Cannabis
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
© 2024 hispanicbusinesstv All Rights Reserved.
Hispanic Business TV > Sports > MLB > MLB extends Wander Franco’s leave through July 14, source says
MLB

MLB extends Wander Franco’s leave through July 14, source says

HBTV
Last updated: May 31, 2024 5:14 pm
HBTV
Share
3 Min Read
SHARE
  • Alden Gonzalez, ESPN Staff WriterMay 30, 2024, 08:49 PM ET

    Close

      ESPN baseball reporter. Covered the L.A. Rams for ESPN from 2016 to 2018 and the L.A. Angels for MLB.com from 2012 to 2016.

Major League Baseball and the MLB Players’ Association have extended Wander Franco‘s administrative leave through July 14, a procedural move to buy more time for new developments to materialize in a potential criminal case, a source with knowledge of the situation told ESPN on Thursday.

Franco, the embattled Tampa Bay Rays shortstop who faces allegations of having a sexual relationship with a 14-year-old girl in his native Dominican Republic and paying the teenager’s mother for her consent, will continue to be paid his $2 million salary while on leave.

Franco’s prior leave was set to expire on Saturday. The extension extends into MLB’s All-Star break and could spill into a critical point in the investigation; Dominican authorities face a July 5 deadline to present formal accusations against Franco, who has yet to be formally charged.

Editor’s Picks

1 Related

Franco, a 23-year-old who made his first All-Star team last year and was developing into one of the sport’s most exciting young players, spent the final six weeks of the 2023 season on leave after being accused of having sex with the teenage girl when he was 21.

Franco was initially accused by Dominican prosecutors of commercial sexual exploitation and money laundering on Jan. 3; the mother of the girl, who was 14 when the alleged relationship began in December 2022, faced the same charge. Six days later, after further review of the evidence, a judge in the Dominican Republic instead accused Franco of a lesser charge of sexual and psychological abuse. If found guilty, he could face between two and five years in prison.

MLB launched a separate investigation into Franco that is not expected to be completed until after his criminal case is resolved. MLB and the MLBPA can agree once again to extend Franco’s leave if a resolution doesn’t occur before July 14. Franco can also be taken off administrative leave and face discipline if MLB gathers enough information before then.

The Tampa Bay Times first reported Franco’s leave extension.

Sign Up For Daily Newsletter

Be keep up! Get the latest breaking news delivered straight to your inbox.

By signing up, you agree to our Terms of Use and acknowledge the data practices in our Privacy Policy. You may unsubscribe at any time.
Share This Article
Facebook Copy Link Print
Share
Previous Article Bobrovsky got start in NHL thanks to current Rangers coach Laviolette
Next Article NBA picks, odds, best bets for Mavericks vs. Wolves in Game 5: Reasons to take the over and Kyrie Irving prop
Leave a Comment Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Stay Connected

FacebookLike
XFollow
InstagramFollow
- Advertisement -
Ad imageAd image

Latest News

Trump won over more Latino voters in 2024; can he keep them? | News
Latino Lifestyle
May 23, 2026
Houston Heights bar Good God, Nadine’s closing at end of May
Houston
May 23, 2026
Nvidia says its forecast for $200 billion CPU market includes China
Las Vegas
May 23, 2026
CRISS CISNEROS HONORED IN MIAMI FOR HER LEADERSHIP AND IMPACT ON THE HISPANIC COMMUNITY
Business
May 23, 2026

Advertise

  • Advertise With Us
  • Terms and Conditions
  • Privacy Policy
  • About Us
  • Contact

HispanicBusinessTV is your go-to source for the latest in Latino lifestyle, culture, and business news. Stay informed and inspired with our comprehensive coverage and in-depth stories.

Quick links

  • Advertise With Us
  • Terms and Conditions
  • Privacy Policy
  • About Us
  • Contact

Top Categories

  • Business
  • HBTV Sports
  • Entertainment
  • Culture

Sign Up for Our Newsletter

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!

© 2025 HispanicBusinessTV.com All Rights Reserved. A WooWho Network Digital Property.
Join Us!
Subscribe to our newsletter and never miss our latest news, podcasts etc..

Zero spam, Unsubscribe at any time.
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?