Hispanic Business TVHispanic Business TV
  • Featured
  • Popular Cities
    • Atlanta
    • Boston
    • Chicago
    • Dallas
    • Denver
    • Houston
    • Las Vegas
    • Los Angeles
    • Miami
    • New York
    • Phoenix
    • Salt Lake City
    • San Antonio
  • Business
    • HBTV Toolbox
      • Social Media Management
  • Politics
  • HBTV Sports
    • MLB
    • MMA
    • NCAAF
    • NBA
    • NCAAM
    • NFL
    • NHL
  • Entertainment
  • Living
    • Culture
    • Latino Lifestyle
    • Education
    • Cannabis
Reading: Cannabis Control Commission licensing, testing directors leave agency
Share
Sign In
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
Font ResizerAa
Hispanic Business TVHispanic Business TV
Search
  • Featured
  • Popular Cities
    • Atlanta
    • Boston
    • Chicago
    • Dallas
    • Denver
    • Houston
    • Las Vegas
    • Los Angeles
    • Miami
    • New York
    • Phoenix
    • Salt Lake City
    • San Antonio
  • Business
    • HBTV Toolbox
  • Politics
  • HBTV Sports
    • MLB
    • MMA
    • NCAAF
    • NBA
    • NCAAM
    • NFL
    • NHL
  • Entertainment
  • Living
    • Culture
    • Latino Lifestyle
    • Education
    • Cannabis
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
© 2024 hispanicbusinesstv All Rights Reserved.
Hispanic Business TV > LIVING > Cannabis > Cannabis Control Commission licensing, testing directors leave agency
Cannabis

Cannabis Control Commission licensing, testing directors leave agency

HBTV
Last updated: August 12, 2024 6:09 pm
HBTV
Share
5 Min Read
U7dxm5vc73jgg2qgm6lqsodon4.jpg
SHARE

In an email, a commission spokesperson said the agency doesn’t comment on personnel matters.

The commission is the regulator for the state’s $7 billion legal cannabis industry. Potvin earned $121,695 last year, state records show.

Kocis, before being named as the state’s marijuana testing director in October 2022, worked at a cannabis lab in Framingham. That lab, Green Analytics, according to published reports, has come under scrutiny for inflated THC results and so-called lab shopping.

Both Potvin and Kocis’s departures were first reported Friday by Grant Smith Ellis, who runs a news website covering the cannabis industry.

Last month, Smith Ellis published a report about allegations that millions of dollars in license fees due to the commission had gone missing, and may have been stolen. The Globe couldn’t confirm the report on Saturday.

Debbie Hilton-Creek, the agency’s acting executive director and chief people officer, addressed the allegations at a commission meeting on July 19.

“I can no longer remain silent about the unconscionable treatment of our staff at the commission and the latest egregious allegation that employees are stealing is equally unconscionable,” she said, according to a recording of the meeting on YouTube.

Reached Saturday, Hilton-Creek declined to comment on Potvin or Kocis. She said she was focused on commission employees and the agency’s work.

The commission publicly addressed efforts to collect outstanding fees in a July 30 notice to applicants and license holders for marijuana establishments and medical marijuana treatment centers.

The agency said it had granted more time to 161 license holders to pay some fees, but $555,671 was still owed after the extension period had lapsed.

In a statement, the spokesperson said there have been “unsupported allegations of misconduct.”

“There is currently no evidence that suggests staff have stolen state funds,” the statement said.

The commission’s licensing staff are responsible for reviewing all adult marijuana establishment license applications, renewals, changes, as well as applications for people who wish to work in the industry, according to the agency’s most recent annual report.

The agency has received nearly 1,800 license applications since the commission was established in 2017, most of which are required for a business to begin operation.

The Globe couldn’t determine Saturday when Plotvin or Kocis left the agency. At a commission meeting last Thursday, Hilton-Creek said there were no open positions at the agency following an effort to fill more than 20 vacant roles.

She said 15 people are moving into new jobs through a combination of internal promotions and hiring and eight more people are being hired through a process that’s already underway.

Leadership of the commission has been in flux since last year when its chair, Shannon O’Brien, was suspended after an investigation alleged she made a series of racist and “culturally insensitive” remarks. O’Brien has denied the allegations.

In June, state Inspector General Jeffrey Shapiro asked lawmakers to appoint a receiver to manage day-to-day operations and reimagine the “rudderless” commission.

Lawmakers have said they plan to hold public hearings this fall to discuss the commission’s structure.

David O’Brien, president and chief executive of the Massachusetts Cannabis Business Association, said Saturday that the industry wants the commission to stabilize its operations.

“We would just love some stability and predictability from the agency. There’s been way too much drama there over the last several years,” he said.

The commission’s next meeting is set for Monday, when a subcommittee searching for the agency’s next executive director plans to meet in executive session for a “virtual candidate screening,” according to the agenda.

Get Today’s Headlines

Today’s top stories delivered every morning.


Laura Crimaldi can be reached at laura.crimaldi@globe.com. Follow her @lauracrimaldi. Tonya Alanez can be reached at tonya.alanez@globe.com. Follow her @talanez.

Sign Up For Daily Newsletter

Be keep up! Get the latest breaking news delivered straight to your inbox.

By signing up, you agree to our Terms of Use and acknowledge the data practices in our Privacy Policy. You may unsubscribe at any time.
Share This Article
Facebook Copy Link Print
Share
Previous Article What Happens To Homeowners If The Housing Market Crashes.jpeg What Happens to Homeowners if the Housing Market Crashes?
Next Article Gettyimages 2165792551.jpg Dallas Cowboys quarterback Dak Prescott says “good conversations” are happening about a new contract
Leave a Comment Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Stay Connected

FacebookLike
XFollow
InstagramFollow
- Advertisement -
Ad imageAd image

Latest News

Massachusetts Students Sue State Over Alleged School Segregation and Unequal Education System
Education
May 21, 2026
Long Beach approves Latino Cultural Center in Downtown
Latino Lifestyle
May 21, 2026
United Airlines exec says fares and fees will rise to overcome market pressures, but company will also absorb some costs
Houston
May 21, 2026
NHL playoff predictions 2026: Conference final winners, Stanley Cup champion and MVP
Las Vegas
May 21, 2026

Advertise

  • Advertise With Us
  • Terms and Conditions
  • Privacy Policy
  • About Us
  • Contact

HispanicBusinessTV is your go-to source for the latest in Latino lifestyle, culture, and business news. Stay informed and inspired with our comprehensive coverage and in-depth stories.

Quick links

  • Advertise With Us
  • Terms and Conditions
  • Privacy Policy
  • About Us
  • Contact

Top Categories

  • Business
  • HBTV Sports
  • Entertainment
  • Culture

Sign Up for Our Newsletter

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!

© 2025 HispanicBusinessTV.com All Rights Reserved. A WooWho Network Digital Property.
Join Us!
Subscribe to our newsletter and never miss our latest news, podcasts etc..

Zero spam, Unsubscribe at any time.
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?