Hispanic Business TVHispanic Business TV
  • Featured
  • Popular Cities
    • Atlanta
    • Boston
    • Chicago
    • Dallas
    • Denver
    • Houston
    • Las Vegas
    • Los Angeles
    • Miami
    • New York
    • Phoenix
    • Salt Lake City
    • San Antonio
  • Business
    • HBTV Toolbox
      • Social Media Management
  • Politics
  • HBTV Sports
    • MLB
    • MMA
    • NCAAF
    • NBA
    • NCAAM
    • NFL
    • NHL
  • Entertainment
  • Living
    • Culture
    • Latino Lifestyle
    • Education
    • Cannabis
Reading: McDonald’s sued over Latino scholarship program
Share
Sign In
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
Font ResizerAa
Hispanic Business TVHispanic Business TV
Search
  • Featured
  • Popular Cities
    • Atlanta
    • Boston
    • Chicago
    • Dallas
    • Denver
    • Houston
    • Las Vegas
    • Los Angeles
    • Miami
    • New York
    • Phoenix
    • Salt Lake City
    • San Antonio
  • Business
    • HBTV Toolbox
  • Politics
  • HBTV Sports
    • MLB
    • MMA
    • NCAAF
    • NBA
    • NCAAM
    • NFL
    • NHL
  • Entertainment
  • Living
    • Culture
    • Latino Lifestyle
    • Education
    • Cannabis
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
© 2024 hispanicbusinesstv All Rights Reserved.
Hispanic Business TV > LIVING > Latino Lifestyle > McDonald’s sued over Latino scholarship program
Latino Lifestyle

McDonald’s sued over Latino scholarship program

HBTV
Last updated: January 14, 2025 3:38 pm
HBTV
Share
4 Min Read
McDonald's automated restuarant pilot
SHARE


Azoria CEO James Fishbeck joins ‘Big Money Show’ to discuss companies ditching DEI initiatives and H-1B visas. 

McDonald’s is being sued over a program that grants scholarships to Latino students, a move that came days after the fast-food giant ditched some of its diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) policies.

The American Alliance for Equal Rights, which challenges race-based preference and discrimination, alleges the McDonald’s HACER program discriminates against certain high school students.

Last week, McDonald’s said it would adjust some of its DEI policies, which critics have deemed “woke.”

WAS 2024 THE YEAR DEI FELL APART?

The Fort Worth location that serves as the pilot for the automated program. (CREDIT: McDonald’s corporate / Fox News)

“When corporations say they will replace controversial and polarizing programs with more neutral ones, it does not always mean the company has undergone any meaningful changes,” AAER President Edward Blum said in a statement. “A corporate press release heralding changes in policies is often little more than a public relations exercise.”

“It is astonishing that after what McDonald’s describes as a comprehensive civil-rights audit of its programs and policies, the Hispanic-only HACER scholarship was not flagged for likely being a violation of our nation’s civil rights laws,” he added. 

The changes at McDonald’s include the scrapping of its “aspirational representation goals,” getting rid of its DEI pledge for its suppliers, changing the name of its diversity team to the Global Inclusion Team and ending external surveys.

“But when McDonald’s expressed this new commitment to treat ‘everyone’ fairly, it didn’t mean everyone. Even after its civil-rights audit, McDonald’s has decided to continue a program that blatantly discriminates against high-schoolers based on their ethnicity,” the lawsuit states. 

COSTCO DEFENDS DEI PROGRAM AS OTHER MAJOR RETAILERS DROP CONTROVERSIAL DIVERSITY PUSH

‘The Robby Starbuck Show’ host Robby Starbuck discusses the dangers of D.E.I. as Lowe’s joins a growing group of corporations dumping the progressive initiative.

McDonald’s said it began discussing the changes months ago, acknowledging that it was considering the legal landscape after the Supreme Court’s 2024 ruling against affirmative action as well as similar moves by other companies.

FOX Business has reached out to the AAER and McDonald’s. Under the program, McDonald’s gives out $100,000 to 30 students with at least one parent of Hispanic or Latino heritage.

“We are in the process of reviewing the complaint and will respond to it accordingly. However, McDonald’s announced its evolution on our inclusion work last week, and part of that process will be reviewing programs, in partnership with our franchisees as applicable, to ensure these programs align with our vision moving forward,” the company said in a statement to Fox News Digital. 

The suit stemmed from an Arkansas high school girl who was looking for college scholarships, according to the lawsuit. 

“McDonald’s, gives unusually large scholarships (up to $100,000) through a program called HACER. The catch? McDonald’s gives them only to Hispanics,” the lawsuit states. “As a non-Hispanic white girl, the Arkansan cannot apply. Despite her financial need. Despite her inability to choose or control her ethnic heritage.”

Panelists Jennifer Sey and Daniel Cameron discuss how major companies are walking back DEI and environmental, social and governance (ESG) programs on ‘The Bottom Line.’

GET FOX BUSINESS ON THE GO BY CLICKING HERE

The AAER is asking a judge to issue a temporary injunction ahead of the company’s announcement of this year’s award in February. 

FOX Business’ Breck Dumas contributed to this report. 



Source link

Sign Up For Daily Newsletter

Be keep up! Get the latest breaking news delivered straight to your inbox.

By signing up, you agree to our Terms of Use and acknowledge the data practices in our Privacy Policy. You may unsubscribe at any time.
Share This Article
Facebook Copy Link Print
Share
Previous Article 2f2c7778893571048dba1bdd417a1486.jpeg Carenet Health Becomes First SEZ-Designated Company in Trinidad & Tobago
Next Article Mlk.png San Antonio Gears Up for 38th Annual MLK Day March and Celebration
Leave a Comment Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Stay Connected

FacebookLike
XFollow
InstagramFollow
- Advertisement -
Ad imageAd image

Latest News

Which company will the U.S. government take a stake in next?
Politics
May 22, 2026
Crust Simply Italian grows in Peoria and Mesa in 2026, more expansion expected
Phoenix
May 22, 2026
Broncos predicted to cut TE Evan Engram before camp
NFL
May 22, 2026
Inside Dylan Raiola’s Nebraska divorce: NIL drama, family influence and Oregon
NCAAF
May 22, 2026

Advertise

  • Advertise With Us
  • Terms and Conditions
  • Privacy Policy
  • About Us
  • Contact

HispanicBusinessTV is your go-to source for the latest in Latino lifestyle, culture, and business news. Stay informed and inspired with our comprehensive coverage and in-depth stories.

Quick links

  • Advertise With Us
  • Terms and Conditions
  • Privacy Policy
  • About Us
  • Contact

Top Categories

  • Business
  • HBTV Sports
  • Entertainment
  • Culture

Sign Up for Our Newsletter

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!

© 2025 HispanicBusinessTV.com All Rights Reserved. A WooWho Network Digital Property.
Join Us!
Subscribe to our newsletter and never miss our latest news, podcasts etc..

Zero spam, Unsubscribe at any time.
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?